Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tomato Pie


This is a recipe that has been in my family for years. It is so simple that you think it can't possibly be good - but I love it!! I do warn you though, if you're not a tomato fan, this won't be your favorite.


1lb hamburger
1 large onion, chopped
1 quart tomatoes
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown hamburger and onion together. Add tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Let all of this simmer while you make biscuit dough or use prepared biscuits. Arrange biscuits on top of simmering hamburger mixture and bake in 375* oven for about 20-30 minutes or until biscuits are done on bottom when removed from pie to test.


Here are a couple variations: My dad likes it better if the biscuits are cooked separately, than he just spoons the hamburger mixture on top. It is just a preference, I like it best all together.

- Cheese is always a good addition to add on top (you know me, you can always add cheese!)

- We didn't have a whole quart of tomatoes the other day when I made this, and so I just added a can of petite diced tomatoes and then took a chance with tomato soup (because that was the only other tomato thing I had in my pantry) My hamburger mix had Italian seasoning in it as well because it was supposed to be used for lasagna (but I had no tomato sauce) The end result was REALLY good! My 1 year old son had 4 helpings, he out ate me, and I love this stuff!

No comments: