Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oven Hot Dogs

You know how there just are some foods you are supposed to like, but you don't?
Hot dogs are that food for me.
I eat them. Every summer. Sometimes I even crave them, and then I eat them, and I don't like them.
Crazy right?
So, a couple weeks back I was introduced to foodgawker.com and died.
Pretty much.
Right then.
(same thing happened when I discovered pinterest)
The first recipe that got me there?: OVEN HOT DOGS.

Like I said, not a hot dog fan. But, something about this picture and this recipe told me my life just wouldn't be complete without trying these at least once.
Now, funny thing, I told my husband about these the very second he came home for lunch and he seemed not the least bit curious. However, I talked to one of my girl friends during that exact same lunch break and she had also found this recipe (through my link on facebook) and being a hot dog LOVER rushed out that same day and acquired the necessary ingredients to make these. Then she called me, later that evening, to assure me that these were, indeed, the best thing she had ever tasted.
So, naturally, I had to make them. It was destiny, you see.

Now, if all truth be told, I really liked these... but only to the extent that I like anything with a hot dog in it, so actually, I didn't really like them that much. HOWEVER: my entire family, including husband who wasn't that jazzed in the first place, absolutely loved them and gobbled them straight up. So, please use that as your incentive to dive into this deliciousness.


This recipe post is dedicated to my brother Jeron: I knew the second I made this that this recipe was meant to belong to him and he was meant to belong to it and they would be happy forever.


Recipe and Photo from here

Oven Hot Dogs
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns
1 can of chili
1/2 an onion, diced
cheddar cheese
mayonnaise
mustard
sweet relish

Line inside of hot dog buns with mayonnaise and sweet relish. Evenly add mustard. Fill with hot dogs and squish into a 13×9″ baking pan.

Top hot dogs with chili, cheese, and diced onion. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

No comments: