Friday, March 11, 2011

To Die for Blueberry Muffins

recipe (and photo) courtesy of allrecipes.com

Okay, here is the deal about these muffins: This happens to be the very best muffin recipe I have ever tried in my history of muffin making.
Phew!

Big statement right?
If you remember in my menu post I had 4 I was trying to pick from. Now, I only tried this one so I can not say it was the best of the 4, but, like I said, it was the best I have ever tried to date. So, I'm a little leary of trying another one just in case I regret not making these.

A couple things I loved about these muffins in particular: The texture. About 5 years ago I had a blackberry muffin in a coffee shop bakery in New Zealand. I have been trying to replicate it's delicious "coffee cake" texture ever since. These muffins finally did. YAY!!! Also, they came together very easily. I mean we are talking 5 minutes, max. So simple that I can make these for breakfast for my school kids. And, an odd one, but they only made 8 muffins, which is great for my little family. Usually muffin recipes make 20-24 and that is just far too many muffins for us.
So, with that, I would have to heartily agree that these muffins are, indeed, "to die for" YUM!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 egg

1/3 - 1/2 cup milk

1 cup fresh blueberries (Walmart had absolutely no fresh blueberries this week. So I used frozen that I had semi - defrosted. They still worked great.)

1/2 cup white sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup butter, cubed

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.



Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.



To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.



Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.


* The crumb topping makes enough for a double batch of muffins. So, if you double the muffin recipe, don't bother doubling the struesel, you'll have plenty. (trust me, I'm a HUGE struesel fan, I had enough left over for another 8 muffins easy.)



No comments: