Friday, September 10, 2010

Chicken Spiedie Sandwiches

I was talking to my friend Gwen this morning about the "thousands" of recipes I use all the time that aren't on this blog.

Gasp!

She told me I needed to get on that. (wise advice)

And so, when I was craving this for lunch... and then again when I devoured this at lunch, I said to myself, spend the 15 minutes to post it on the blog. You'll be happy I did.

I adapted this recipe from My Kitchen Cafe (which is were the picture came from... sorry I ate mine way to quickly to even think of taking a picture myself) She adapted the original recipe from Cook's Kitchen


1/2 cup olive oil

2 garlic cloves, finely minced

2 Tbs fresh basil, finely chopped (or 1/2 Tbs dried basil)

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

3 tablespoons mayonnaise

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1 1/2 pounds

salt and pepper for seasoning chicken

6 6-inch sub rolls (buy the costco ones, you won't regret it.)

2 Tbs butter

Prick chicken breasts all over with fork, cut into 1 1/4 inch chunks, season with salt and pepper and place in a ziploc bag. Combine oil, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes in a large bowl. Pour all but 2 tablespoons oil mixture over chicken, seal bag and set in refrigerator to marinade. Marinade chicken for 30 minutes to 3 hours.

Whisk mayonnaise and vinegar into reserved 2 Tbs of oil mixture. Sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, covered for 2 days.

Remove chicken from marinade and place on grill. (You can thread it onto skewers if you're worried about the chicken falling through your grate. I always just cook it on my foreman.)

Grill chicken until cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice if necessary.

Split your rolls in half lengthwise and butter. Place them on your grill or griddle and get them nice and toasty (this is an essential step to yummy-ness. Don't skip it unless you hate yourself.) Place your cooked chicken on your toasted sub rolls and drizzle with mayo mixture.

Yes, that's all. That's it.

You may be tempted to add cheese, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, etc. but just go ahead and try it plain and simple once. Believe me, I'm a "I bet I could make this a little better by adding ____" but this one... I just don't know. I always love it the most just plain and simple, chicken, bun, and sauce.

Anyway, enjoy!

No comments: