Monday, January 25, 2010

Jandee's Variable Bundt Cake



Over the years I've tried a lot of cake recipes, this is recipe I've developed that uses mainly things I usually have on-hand and that I modify to suit my desire for that day. This recipe is easily modified make several variations:
1) Lemon Cake
2) Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
3) Vanilla Poppyseed Cake
4) Vanilla Coconut Cake
The possibilities are endless with just a few tweaks

Here is the basic recipe:
1 cake mix
1 pkg instant pudding
4 eggs
1 cup of sour cream or ricotta cheese or vanilla yogurt (whatever you have on hand and/or prefer)
1/2 c water
1 t rum flavoring
1/2 cup of melted butter

Mix together, bake at 350 in bundt pan for 45 minutes. Now here is how to specialize it:

1) If you want lemon cake, use a lemon cake mix, and lemon pudding mix, add the juice of one fresh squeezed lemon and grate in some lemon zest
2) If you want Lemon Poppyseed, just add 1/4 cup of poppyseeds
3) If you want to go the Vanilla route, use a White or Yellow or Vanilla cake mix, use vanilla pudding mix and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
4) for Vanilla Coconut, I usually use a coconut pudding mix and I'll add about 1/2 cup of grated coconut to the batter

This cake is very moist and is nice served on its own, with a glaze, or with full frosting. For the lemon cake I have pictured above I used an easy lemon glaze:
mix about 5 Tablespoons of lemon juice with 2 cups of powdered sugar, adjust powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency and drizzle over cake.

Enjoy!

No comments: