Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cinnamon Biscuits

Do you ever crave cinnamon rolls at 8:00 in the morning and then curse the fact that they take an hour plus to see the final result? It's just me isn't it. Well, nevermind, here is the deal. Yesterday I stumbled across this recipe over at mmm...cafe. Of course I put it in my delicious account (highly recommend delicious, by the way) and this morning, Kami helped me decide between cinnamon biscuits and snickerdoodle pancakes.
As we were eating breakfast this morning Kami said to me "This was a good pick huh mom?"
That it was.
These are quick to throw together, bake up really quick, and dissapear just as quickly.

I got this recipe from mmm...cafe. She got the recipe from someone named Melissa. I motified the recipe a bit, and below I've posted my version.

2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbs. sugar
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in cubes

Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in butter with a pastry cutter until mixed well and slightly crumbly.

Then, slowly stir in:

2/3 cup milk

When dough begins to clump, knead with hands for about 30 seconds, or until dough forms a ball. Flour your surface WELL to prevent sticking, and roll out your dough in a rectangle. Cut off edges to make perfectly straight sides of your rectangle.

Next, apply the filling:

3/4 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 HEAPING Tbs. cinnamon

Spread filling evenly to each edge of the rectangle. Cut rectangle from left to right (long-ways) into 5 strips and stack directly on top of one another. Slice stack into 12 even pieces and flip them into lined muffin tins. Bake 10-12 minutes.
While they bake, mix up your glaze:

2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbs Milk
1/4 tsp vanilla

Glaze will be very thick. Drizzle glaze over warm biscuts and enjoy.

No comments: