Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sticky Coconut or "Tar" Chicken


Yet another recipe from Your Home Based Mom.
What can I say, I was hungry the other day while looking at her blog. Really hungry. So everything I saw ended up on my menus. And, let me say, she has yet to disappoint.
We really liked this one. It does have a spicy kick, so if you aren't a fan of a slightly burning tongue sensation, I recommend decreasing the amount of red pepper flakes in both the marinade and the sauce.
Next time I make this (which there will definitely be a next time) I'm going to make a coconut rice to go with it. This time I served it with plain brown rice. Which was very yummy, by the way. But I have 1/2 a can of coconut milk in my fridge leftover from this recipe so I figure, why not right?
Picture also from your home based mom

Sticky Coconut Chicken or “Tar” Chicken

6-8 boneless chicken thighs

3/4 cup canned coconut milk (I usually am cooking about 10-12 thighs so I just use the whole can)

1 Tbsp. minced ginger

1 tsp. fresh ground pepper

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Marinade chicken in coconut milk, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes at least one hour. Grill on barbecue.

Chili Glaze:

3/4 cup rice vinegar

1/2 cup sugar

3 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

Bring above ingredients to a boil over high heat and cook until mixture is reduced and thickened. 8-10 minutes depending on the size of your pan. Glaze both sides of chicken and serve.

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

This is definitely a favorite at our house! So glad you enjoyed it!!

MoraSue said...

I found this recipe a few months ago and it is by far the best chicken dish ive made in years! My husband, my 2 yr. old, and I all love it. We eat it with rice and steamed stir fry veggies (from frozen). When I make it I cook half of the chicken for dinner and freeze the other half (in the coconut marinade). It turns out perfect either way. Thank you for sharing it!