Monday, May 4, 2009

Monterey Chicken

BBQ chicken is a go-to quick meal staple in our house. Not the bbq chicken you are thinking of, this is your "cook a chicken breast in a skillet and drizzle it with bbq sauce" kind of chicken. Well a month or so I decided to kick it up a notch by adding bacon. My husband is so glad I did.
SUPER YUMMY,
SUPER EASY,
SUPER DE DUPER!

Inspiration from: The Open Pantry
4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
8 Bacon strips, cooked (don't cook it all the way, it will sit in the oven for a couple minutes... you don't want overly crispy bacon, unless you like that)
1 cup BBQ sauce (I use kraft honey BBQ sauce, it's cheap and it makes us smile)
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (We are cheese people...)
2 Roma tomato's, chopped
2 green onions, chopped

Preheat oven to 325. Heat your favorite skillet on medium high heat, add some olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides of your chicken breast. (you may want to go easier on the salt then you normally would because the bacon and cheese tend to up the salt anty.)
Cook your chicken in skillet 3-4 minutes on each side. They don't need to be cooked through, I usually pull mine out of the skillet when they still have a couple minutes left. (Let me rephrase that, my skillet goes straight from stove top to oven, so I don't actually pull my chicken out, I just cut the heat to my skillet.)
Place your mostly-cooked chicken in a baking dish. Top your chicken with bbq sauce (I usually just make sure it is covered) and then sprinkle with cheese. Place at least 2 pieces of bacon on each breast (we are of the go big or go home variety in our house, so we usually do 4 pieces of bacon per breast...don't hate us, just be jealous of our high caloric intake...)
Bake chicken breasts in the oven for about 5-7 minutes. (This will vary depending on how well done your chicken was before you transferred it to the oven, so be mindful of that.)
Top the chicken breasts with the chopped tomato and green onions. (unless your hubby won't eat that stuff)
Sit back and get the most compliments you've ever had on a meal so simple.
Pair it with this, at least that's what we do.

No comments: