Thursday, March 19, 2009

Spaghetti Sauce

So, we haven't been to the store in weeks. Our busy (busy) schedules and all the sickies have kept us away. So, needless to say, our dinners are approaching desperation as we try to make something out of nothing.
Last night we made this. It isn't our all time favorite spaghetti sauce recipe, but it is definitely delicious and perfect for those picky ones out there who don't do chunks of goodness (meat, sausage, peppers, onions, etc.) in their spaghetti sauce.
Very quick, very easy, and very cheap. Not to mention so much better than the canned variety.

Recipe adapted from this one on allrecipes.com

1 (14 oz) can petit diced tomatoes
1 (14 oz) can italian diced tomatoes
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoons dried oregano
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes

DIRECTIONS
In a blender or food processor, pulse your cans of diced tomatoes (1 can petit, 1 can italian) until fairly smooth. (Or the consistency you like. My man doesn't like chunky tomatoes.)

In a large skillet combine the your now crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar, vinegar, oregano and red pepper flakes.

Stir all together and simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes (for the best flavor).

Stir frequently to prevent burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you paid me a visit - I had ALMOST forgotten how much I love your blog - you have recipes that remind me of my mom's cooking - always a good thing. I've just spent the better part of an hour reading through all the recipes - and I'm now off to make the spaghetti in the crock pot thing - sounds fantastic and I can't believe I've never had it before! Thanks so much - I love everything you post and plan to make it all! I've just got to live to be 157 to get it all in!! xo, Nan