Friday, October 3, 2008

Hearty Ham Casserole

This is really yummy+easy=perfect (at least in my mind) So here it goes....(also, I do this as a 1 pan/pot meal instead but first I'll give the real directions and then my own)

2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
2 cups diced cooked potatoes
1 can of corn drained (15 1/4oz)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped onion (I use more)
1/4 cup butter
1 3/4 cups milk
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
350* oven 25-35 minutes

In a large bowl combine the first 4 ingredients and set aside. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter for2 minute, stir in the flour then slowly add the milk and pepper, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Poor over the first 4 ingredients and stir to combine. Poor that into a 9/13 pan, cover and bake at 350* for 25 minutes. Remove foil and cover with cheese place back in oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Here is where I make my changes....I use my large skillet pan, throw my potatoes into the microwave to bake and then chop them along with the ham, and parsley all on a large cutting board (they hang out there until I am ready to add them) I also added only 1 cup of milk and used cream for the other 3/4 of a cup that was needed. When my rue was ready I just picked up my cutting board and dumped, followed by dumping a can of corn that I had drained. After mixing it all together I covered it with tinfoil and placed it in the oven. I never added cheese to it but it is yummy with or without it.

No comments: