Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mexican Rice

I have named this mexican rice instead of spanish rice because my girlfriend who shared this with me is from Mexico. I have always struggled with spanish rice, but not anymore. This turns out wonderful every time. You can add a can of diced chilis when you add the onions if you want.

1 c. dry, white rice
1/2 T oil (more or less)
1/4 c. diced onion
2 c. hot water
1/2 can tomato sauce (the 8 oz. size)
1 1/2 - 2 T. powdered chicken buillon (I use the mexican Knorr brand, I think it has more flavor than others)


Get oil hot in a frying pan. Rinse rice and drain. Brown rice in hot oil (this takes a while), stirring frequently. Once rice is nice brown color, add onions, hot water (just from tap, not boiled or anything), tomato sauce and buillon. Stir, cover and simmer on low (as low as possible and still keep a simmer) for 20 minutes. Don't stir during cooking, and don't peek. Stir after cooking is complete, taste and add salt, if desired. (the bouillon I use is pretty salty, so I don't add any.) Also, I am careful when I first stir rice, sometimes--depending on the pan-- the bottom gets a little too brown. If I use a nonstick pan I never have a problem. If it is to done, just don't mix the bottom with the rest and move the rice to another bowl.

1 comment:

Brandon and Brittany said...

Mom - this is FABULOUS! We loved it! Tell Becca she's amazing.