Friday, August 29, 2008

Potato Corn Chowder

The weather has been getting a little chillier up here in Idaho. I don't know about you guys, but chilly fall weather makes me happy. (Even if it technically is still summer) I just informed my husband yesterday that today (yesterday, actually) marked the beginning of the soup rotation. That is, soup, once a week on the menu rotation. I couldn't be happier! I love soup!

We kicked off soup season with a new recipe. So glad we did because it was spectacular! We had to adjust it a little because my man won't eat soup with out potatoes. But I am glad we did because I loved it so the much more. Enjoy.

And, for my dump and pour friends, this one is right up your alley.
(My thoughts August 2008)

This has become one of our ALL TIME FAVORITE SOUPS!! You must try this, or come to my house so I can cook it for you... because I will.
(My thoughts today and every day... 2008-2011)

1 cube butter
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Chicken broth (or water and chicken bullion, which is what I do)
2 -3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup flour
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2-4 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn, just stay away from the canned stuff. Too sweet.
1 pint (2 cups) half and half
1 8 oz package cream cheese, cut in small cubes
3 tsps creole seasoning


Saute onions in butter in a medium heat pan. Add potatoes and enough chicken brothto just come half way up the potatoes, usually about 3 cups. Cook until potatoes are just about fork tender. (you want them a little under done because they will continue to cook) Add the flour and gently stir until you have a thick roue. Add soup and cream cheese. Cook until cream cheese has melted and is smooth. Add corn and half and half (or milk and heavy cream). I usually add 1 cup heavy cream and then enough milk to get it to the consistency we like. Add your creole seasoning and then gobble it up!

No comments: