Friday, May 23, 2008

Death by Caramel Bars


These are amazing. Seriously. I found this recipe on a friend's blog and copied her commentary below as it was so clever:

First melt two sticks of butter in the microwave.
Then add:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Stir it all together. I like to use my hands. Makes me feel all earthy and homemaker-ish. The dough should clump together, but still crumble well. Now press only HALF of the dough into a greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 325 for 17 minutes. (How could you not love this recipe with a baking time of 17 minutes? Just sets my little heart all a flutter).

Remove it from the oven and dump an entire bottle of Smucker's Caramel topping over the top. Yes, that's right. I said the entire bottle. Now would be a good time to mention that you might need to grab a few insulin shots while you're at the store getting supplies. One bite of this will likely send you into a diabetic coma.

But it's so worth it.

Next, generously sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the caramel. Then top that with the remaining dough. You don't need to press the dough this time, just crumble all over the top.

Now pop this baby back into your 325 degree oven and bake for another 17 minutes.

Once you remove the pan from the oven, let it cool completely. They really need to sit for a while to allow that caramel gooey-ness time to firm up a bit. You can put them in the freezer to speed up this process if you're too impatient to wait.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Um YUM! These look so good. Thanks for sharing. I just added a bottle of Smuckers Caramel topping to my Apple Crisp recipe and it too was delicious. BRING ON THE CARAMEL! I can't wait to try this recipe. (I'm Gwen's friend Jenny Stanger and I linked to your blog through hers.)

Wurtz Gang said...

It is safe to say that my mouth is watering!!! I can hardlee wait to make these!