Tuesday, September 18, 2007

polynesian meatballs

I am the LAST little piggy who should be posting polynesian recipes, but we found this recipe in the friend magazine a while back. The meatball recipe came from my sister-in-law. We like these meatballs better than the friend recipe, but the sauce has been a huge hit at our house, so I thought I would share:

Meatballs
-2 lbs ground beef
-1 can sweetened condensed milk
-1 pkg. lipton onion soup mix

-mix all ingredients together and form into small balls. Put on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes

Sauce
-1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
-2 Tbs. cornstarch
-1/2 c. cider vinegar
-2 Tbs. soy sauce
-2 Tbs. lemon juice
-1/2 c. brown sugar

-drain pineapple and set aside pineapple. Add juice to the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Cook until thick. Add pineapple and meatballs. Serve over rice.

you can make this whole thing and serve it right away, OR you can put it in the crockpot. I like it best in the crockpot and let it cook for another 2-3 hours on low.
Also, a little tip: I mix the ingredients for the meatballs with a spoon and use a small cookie scoop (like the pampered chef one) to make the meatballs. That way they are the perfect size, it's fast, and I don't even have to get my hands dirty :) it makes up for dirtying a crock pot when I don't have to!

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

So do you just put the sauce in the crockpot, or the meat and the sauce?

Gwen said...

I dump the meatballs in the crockpot and then pour the sauce over it. You can either add the pineapple then too, or add it right before serving depending on how you like it. I like mine cooked.