Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Granola

Okay, so I have been craving granola the last few days so I decided to post this incase any one else was feeling the craving. I typically use pecans instead of walnuts because I like them better. You can use any combination of nuts that you like. Also, I have a couple of kids that don't like raisins, so I usually do half of the recipe with raisins and half with craisins (dried cranberries). You can really use any dried fruits that you like.

8 cups rolled oats
6 cups wheat flakes-like wheaties
3 cups coconut
2 cups wheat germ
2 teaspoons salt
½ cup honey
1 ½ cups brown sugar
1 cup safflower or canola oil
3 teaspoons vanilla 1 cup water
1 16 oz. package cashews
1 16 oz. package walnuts
3 cups raisins
1 4 oz. package sunflower seeds
2 oz. sesame seeds

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. May add additional ½ water if needed. (If you want moister) Spread on 3-4 cookie sheets. Bake at 225* for 30 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Store in airtight container. Great with milk or hot like oatmeal. I like to eat it stirred in yogurt with fresh fruit. Something we learned to love in New Zealand.

No comments: