Friday, June 1, 2007

Basic Muffins

This is a very easy muffin mix. I make these and add whatever I want to them. If I add chopped apples, I add a little cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes I add cooked, crumbled bacon, sometimes grated cheese, You get the picture.

2 cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
¼ cup vegetable oil


Preheat oven to 400*. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour or spoon the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Hint: When you make muffins, don't mix to much, it makes them to dense. I usually stir/fold 13 times, no more. There will be lumps and maybe some powdery stuff still, but it bakes in just fine. Also, the best thing for scooping muffin batter into the muffin tins is a ice cream scoop. The kind that you push the button and a little wand slides around the bowl of the scoop. The size that is about 1/2 cup is best. It makes the perfect size.

1 comment:

Tearsa said...

I'm so excited you have your own food blog! Gwen just told me about it, and I think it looks great! If you ever want any recipes from my blog on yours, feel free to ask!