Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Waffles of Insane Greatness

I have a love hate relationship with waffles. When I was little I hated waffles because all the butter would get stuck in the little pockets. (I was a crazy kid...) 
As I've matured and embraced whole pockets full of butter I have had an idea of what the perfect waffle would be. I've tried every recipe out there from ones that have you separate your eggs to ones that have oats. And while some of them where okay I never truly found what I was looking for. Crispy outsides, airy insides, and a batter that didn't end up tasting like cardboard. (picky girl right?)

Well this morning the craving for waffles appeared again. So I hopped on food network dot com and typed in waffles. 

When you come across a recipe entitled "Waffles of Insane Greatness" you make those ones. Especially when 198 reviews have given it 5 stars AND you have all the ingredients AND it's as simple as dump and stir.

Result: I'm probably not going to be searching for another waffle recipe. 
Crispy outside, airy inside, PACKED with yumminess.
 Is it the absolute best waffle recipe out there? Who's to say.
 But it is definitely the best waffle recipe I've ever tried. And I've tried all those recipes claiming to be the best. 

Waffles of Insane Greatness
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Butter and syrup, for serving
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes. (I let it sit while my waffle iron heated up and while I did the girl's hair. I don't exactly think it was 30 minutes though, probably more like 15, which still worked. Next time I'll plan accordingly and make the batter first thing and then let it sit the full 30 minutes. But I had to cut a little boys hair this morning)
Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. (I didn't believe this would be so, but I trusted them and my waffles popped right off. No problems at all. So really, don't spray it) Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.
I have one of those 4 waffle waffle irons and this recipe made 2 batches. Just the perfect amount for my family of one adult breakfast eater and 4 children. (And, where my husband one who ate breakfast, there would have been plenty for him as well.)

No comments: