Friday, October 14, 2011

Cooper's Broccoli Cheese soup

My son has an intense love for broccoli and his mother has an intense love for soup. Combine our loves together and you get Broccoli Cheese Soup.

Now, my mother has a fantastic broccoli cheese soup recipe. It is what I grew up on and anytime we were sick or it rained we requested her broccoli cheese soup.
But that's not the recipe I'm posting here.
This is a different recipe.
This is our recipe: Cooper and I's. (My Mom's recipe is here, and it is delicious, you should try it.)

So, as genetics would have it, I now have myself a child who requests broccoli cheese soup all the time (and at the oddest of times as well... breakfast? afternoon snack?)

Together, Cooper and I, have concocted this quick and also fantastic broccoli soup recipe.

And it's special because it's ours.


And it's special because it's yummy.

And it's extra special because when my son requests broccoli soup I can say you bet. Because it's quicker than a box of macaroni, about as much work as a pb&j and far superior for our very discerning tastes. (my son and I also share a pension for food snobbery)

Cooper's Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 head of broccoli, cut into florets (or one bag of frozen broccoli florets)
1/2 cup water
Chicken bouillon (either one cube, or if you use the mexican granule variety, like we do, 2 tsps)
3 Tbs butter
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
Cheese
salt and pepper to taste

In a small saucepan on medium high heat, combine your broccoli, water and bouillon. Cover and cook/steam until broccoli is tender and bright green.

Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, melt your butter. Add your flour and whisk until smooth (you are making a rue). Allow your rue to cook a minute or so to get rid of the raw flour flavor. Then slowly whisk in your milk. Add milk until you've reached a consistency slightly thicker than you want your finished soup to be. Add your cheese and stir until melted.

Finally, combine your broccoli pot with your cheese sauce pot. Taste, salt and pepper accordingly and then watch your very happy son devour and come back for seconds.

1 comment:

Alyssa, Stephen, and McKinley said...

I just made this. It was super fast and yummy. I love the big broccoli chunks too.