Monday, May 9, 2011

Versatile Salsa Verde

Whenever I make empanadas, I usually make this salsa verde, but it is really great with any Mexican food dish. This recipe is a basic one you can modify easily depending on how spicy you like your salsa.

12 tomatillos, husked & rinsed
4 serrano peppers or 2 jalapeno chiles or 1 can of diced green chilis (I use whatever I have on hand)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 T fresh cillantro minced (I usually add more because I'm obsessed with cilantro)

Put the tomatillos and chilies in a saucepan over medium heat and add water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cooke uncovered for about 15 minutes until tomatillos are soft. (If you want your salsa verde to be less spicy you can take out some or all of the seeds from the peppers before you do this)

Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of liquid. Add the garlic to the tomatillos & peppers and blend up, adding the liquid to create the consistency you like. Stir in the minced onions & cilantro and serve!

No comments: