3 T butter
1/4 c finely grated Parmesan
3 T flour
1 c scalded milk
1/4 t nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt & Pepper
4 extra large egg yolks
5 egg whites (yes you will have to throw away one egg yolk)
1/2 c cheddar
3 cups of fresh spinach chopped or 1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1/8 t of cream of tartar
Tip: It seems to me that when you start making the souffle you need all of the ingredients ready pretty quickly or something will burn -- so do yourself a favor and prepare every ingredient beforehand and then it only takes about five minutes to assemble everything and toss it into the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease on 6-8 cup souffle dish or use ramekins (I usually use four 2 cup ramekins)
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and stir constantly for two minutes. Add scald milk (I scald mine in the microwave) and the nutmeg, cayenne, & salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened and smooth (about one min.)
3. Off the heat stir in the egg yolks, parmesan, cheddar, and spinach.
4. Beat Egg whites with cream of tartar until glossy peaks are formed.
5. Whisk 1/4 of egg whites into cheese sauce to lighten and then fold in the rest with a rubber spatula. Pour batter into prepared dishes and draw a circle on top with a spatula.
6. Place in oven and then turn the temp down to 375. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Don't peek or your souffle will fall --use the oven light.