Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hearty Beef Stew

Ingredients:
1 Chuck or Rump Roast
1 large onion chopped
Some minced garlic
Several large carrots, chopped
Lots of red potatoes cut into one inch cubes
2 cups of good red cooking wine
4 cups of beef broth
1 can of whole tomatoes (diced) plus the juice of the can.
Spice (I used some fresh thyme, marjoram, garlic salt,

1. Cut up a rump roast or chuck roast into one inch cubes.
2. In large dutch oven pot brown meat in about 1 Tbsp of olive oil, salt & pepper the meat generously as you go. The point of this browning is not to cook the meat through, but to sear in the juices so I did this on high and it only took a few minutes with me flipping the meat frequently.
3. As beef is browning chop the onion. Just as the beef is seared, drain excess fat from pan (I used homegrown meat so I didn't really have any) and through in the onion and minced garlic and let those cook together for a few minutes. Also at this stage you can create a roux by adding in some cornstarch or flour to the oil and meat before you stir in the beef broth, but I like my stew brothy so I didn't bother with the roux.
4. Add in beef broth & cooking wine, bring the heat down to low and simmer for two plus hours (I did three hours on the lowest setting on my burner and the meat was amazingly tender and flavorful).
5. Add in red potatoes, and large carrots and any other veggies that strike your fancy (if you are a celery fan that would be good) and cook until potatoes are tender.
6. Add spices and whole tomatoes with the juice. Bring back to boil than stir and serve.

No comments: