Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Crescent Roll Danish

(Image is from here as well. I don't take pretty food pics.)

This is what we are eating for breakfast, right this second (yes it is 10:30. Don't judge.) I stumbled across this recipe this morning here and thought "hey, I actually have all the ingredients for this!" Shock since my list of ingredients I do have is incredibly smaller than my list of ingredients don't have. You know it's bad when I can see the glass of my fridge shelves. I can never see the bottom of my fridge shelves. NEVER! (Maybe I should go to the store...)

Randomly, I don't usually have crescent rolls in my fridge, but I had purchased them for this recipe (hmm..never mind, I guess I don't have that recipe posted on here yet. I'll get on that.) and then my kids had eaten all my apples and they were just bumming around until I could make it back to the store to purchase more apples... what a happy coincidence.

Here goes:
1 (8 0z) pkg of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 (8 oz) cans refrigerated crescent roll dough
4 tsp. preserves or jam


Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 to 3 tsp milk

Heat oven to 350. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Separate crescent dough into 8 rectangles, firmly pressing perforations to seal. (You know how each crescent roll tube comes with 8 little triangle rolls. Press the perforations together to form 4 rectangles per roll, or 8 rectangles in total) Spread each rectangle with about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture. Don't go all the way to the edges or it won't seal. (really not that huge of a deal in hind site.)

Roll up jelly roll style starting on long side, rolling to long side. Firmly pinch edge and ends to seam. (I didn't do this...too lazy I guess.) Gently stretch each roll to around 8-10 inches. On an ungreased cookie sheet, coil each roll into a spiral with the seam side on the inside, tucking end under. (I kind of just tied a knot, making sure to tuck the end under) Make a deep indentation in the center of each roll and fill with 1/2 tsp. jam or preserves. (we used triple berry jam: strawberry, raspberry, and blackberry, and it was so yummy! My next choice would have been raspberry.)

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until deep golden brown.

In a small bowl blend glaze ingredients, adding enough milk to make drizzling consistency. Put glaze in a small plastic zipper bag. Snip a small amount off the corner of the bag, creating a small hole. Drizzle glaze from bag using hole over warm rolls.

No comments: