Monday, March 31, 2008

Roast Sticky Chicken - Rotisserie Style

You have SERIOUSLY got to try this recipe. It takes very little prep, but needs to marinate overnight and then cook for 5 hours. So plan accordingly. (This makes it perfect for Sunday meals) Anyway, it was fantastic. This recipe has been on my list of "must try"s for awhile now and I am so thrilled that I finally did. Yum, Yum, Yum!

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper (Skipped this ingredient...who has that?! I just doubled the black pepper)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used a little less because I was cooking for my mom and she's kind of a cry baby)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • 2 (4 pound) whole chickens

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.
  2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C).
  3. Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

This sounds DELICIOUS!!!! I'm going to try it soon! I have a whole chicken thawing in the fridge right now.

What is a good side to serve with this? Mashed potatoes & gravy?

Brandon and Brittany said...

Aubrey, we did mashed potatoes and gravy. And it was SO yummy. But we were originally going to do baked potatoes. We also had asparagus, rolls, and salad on the menu. But...I forgot to make the salad and asparagus was too expensive, so we did corn instead.

Wurtz Gang said...

This looks absolutely yummy!!! My mouth is waterin'! This is definately on my menu for next week! Thanks for sharing!