Friday, June 1, 2007

Potato Rolls

These rolls are a staple at our house. We have them almost every Sunday. However, I don’t always shape them the same way, you can shape them anyway you like. Some of my kids like them twisted like the instructions say, others like them in parker house roll shape, still others like them in school lunch roll shape. You decide. We also use this recipe for cinnamon rolls. You can use it as is or round the sugar up to 1 cup for sweet rolls.

Dissolve 1 ½ tablespoons yeast in ¼ cup warm water with 1 teaspoon sugar.

Mix together:
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup shortening
1 cup potato flakes
2-3 cups flour
1 tablespoon salt
powdered milk to make 3 cups milk

Add: 3 cups hot tap water – Mix
Add: 4 eggs – Mix
Add: yeast and water mixture.
Add enough flour to form a sticky dough. Let rise, punch down. If using a mixer, mix for five minutes and you can shape immediately without letting raise first. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a large rectangle. Butter dough and fold into thirds lengthwise. Cut dough crosswise (a pizza cutter works great) into 1 – 1 ½ inch strips. Twist dough and tie into knows. Let rise. Bake at 400* for 10-15 minutes until golden. Makes @ 40 rolls.

1 comment:

Jordan and Jandee said...

These are my very favorite rolls that Aunt Jill makes, I think I can eat about a dozen just by myself in one sitting, so I just wanted to add my little plug to these ones!